Art Center College of Design | Pasadena, California | Learn to Create. Influence Change.


A maximum of 60 units of studio and academic credits may be transferred from another accredited institution.

Art Center recognizes two types of transfer credit: credit for studio art classes, and credit for Humanities and Sciences classes.

Receipt of studio transfer credit, not Humanities and Sciences credit, determines the length of a student's program at Art Center. Advanced standing is awarded only if the student receives studio art credit.

Transfer credit will be accepted from colleges or universities that are accredited by one of the six regional associations of schools and colleges—Middle States (MASAC), New England (NEASC), North Central (NCASC), Northwest (NWCCU), Southern (SASAC), Western (WASC)—or by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).

International programs will be evaluated on an individual basis. International Baccalaureate credit is offered for a score of 5 or 6.

Advanced Placement (AP) credit is awarded only for Humanities and Design classes based on an official score of 4 or 5 from Educational Testing Services (ETS). Art Center does not offer studio art credit for AP classes.

All studio and Humanities and Sciences transfer credit must be finalized by the end of a student's first term at Art Center. Transfer credit will not be accepted after the student has enrolled in the degree program.

It is the student's responsibility to provide final official transcripts from all colleges attended. Credit will not be awarded based on unofficial transcripts or transcripts from colleges not previously disclosed on the application for admission.

For students accepted into a degree program at Art Center for fall term 2005 or later, transfer credit from other post-secondary schools will not be accepted if they are earned after the student enrolls in the degree program at Art Center.

Degree-seeking students may not use Art Center at Night courses to meet their degree requirements.


Studio Art Credit

Studio art credit is awarded based on a combination of portfolio work and prior college credit. It is never awarded solely on a listing of courses on a transcript.

The college must verify that similar content was covered in a comparable class based on actual portfolio work.

Portfolios are evaluated for studio credit at the time of admission.

In addition to credit for prior college work, students may also be granted a maximum of 12 credits based on professional work experience.

A transfer student's program will be shortened only if one or more semesters of studio transfer credit is awarded. The number of liberal arts and sciences credits transferred does not affect the length of the program but will lighten the course load.

Studio courses taken through Art Center at Night, Art Center's non-degree continuing education program, are considered for transfer if the course is listed as transferable at the time of entry, is applicable to the major, and if a grade of B or better is achieved.

Exceptions to the policy can be made only by the Admissions Committee based on the portfolio review. The transfer of these courses will depend on the admissions policy in effect at the time of entry to the degree program.

Humanities and Sciences Transfer Credit

Forty-five credits of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) are required for graduation. Some credits may be transferred, depending upon the major.

A number of required liberal arts and sciences courses can be taken only at Art Center. These vary by major.

Credits accepted for transfer must fall into these categories: Humanities, Social Sciences, Science & Technology and Business & Professional Practices.

This PDF describes general types of courses that fall into these categories. Other courses may qualify for transfer at the discretion of Admissions.

Credit is transferable for Humanities and Sciences courses taken at another regionally accredited college in which a grade of C or better has been achieved for elective courses, or a grade of B or better for program/required courses.

Undergraduate students who have not previously completed a college-level English composition class from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university where the primary language of instruction is in English with a B or better, or AP test of 4 or 5 in English Composition or English literature are required to take a Writing Placement Test for purposes of placing you in the correct level of our required writing class during the orientation program.

Classes taken at non-U.S. colleges in which the language of instruction is English will be evaluated on an individual basis. Any exception to the testing policy will be made on a case-by-case basis by the Chair of the Humanities and Sciences or his/her designee.   


.Credits.Copyright.Privacy Policy.Terms of Use