Majors open to
Host DepartmentEnvironmental Design & DesignMatters
Faculty LeadPenny Herscovitch Dan Gottlieb Stella Hernandez
6 units ArtCenter credit (3 studio + 3 H&S)
How To Apply
Applications for this program were due on Tuesday, March 12 (Week 10) at 1pm.
- Must have completed at least four terms of undergraduate study or two terms of graduate study prior to Summer 2019
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Must not be on academic or disciplinary probation at the time of application
- Spanish language proficiency preferred but not required
* If you do not meet the minimum eligibility requirements you still may be able to apply. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no fee for this program but you will be responsible for your ArtCenter tuition for the term.
Costs that you will be responsible for that are NOT included include airfare, a passport ($145), visa (if required), departure tax ($29), immunizations ($200 – $275), and personal expenses – souvenirs, toiletries, supplies, transportation to/from the airport, some local Santiago transportation, cell phone, etc. (approximately $200).
Term: Summer 2019
Tentative Dates Away: April 28 – May 11, 2019
You will complete the remainder of your coursework back at ArtCenter in the Summer term. Class meeting times TBD
MISSION: Holistic Pediatric Burn Treatment
Partner with COANIQUEM, a leading non-profit based in Chile, which provides free holistic treatment to children who have survived severe burns from under-served communities across Latin America.
OPPORTUNITY: Design Healing Spaces for Kids
Create an impact on a child’s healing journey though design. In this Designmatters TDS, hosted by Environmental Design, interdisciplinary student teams co-create innovative environments that empower and nurture burned children & their families through the healing journey.
As a follow-up to the 2016 Safe Niños project, which asked students to reimagine COANIQUEM’s main campus in Santiago, Chile, this studio will challenge students to design empathetic solutions for COANIQUEM’s other burn rehabilitation centers in Chile.
FIELD RESEARCH: 2 Weeks in Chile
Travel to COANIQUEM’s pediatric burn centers across Chile to understand their mission, connect with families & research opportunities for design.
• Wednesday, January 30 (Week 3) at 1 pm, Hillside Room 190
• Tuesday, February 5 (Week 4) at 1 pm, Hillside Room 191
• NEW at 1111 Building! Wednesday, February 6 (Week 4) at 1 pm, 1111 Building Room 306
• Applications Due: DEADLINE EXTENDED to Tuesday, March 12 at 1pm (Week 10)
• Decisions Announced: Applications will be reviewed and acceptance decisions made on a rolling basis
• Program Commitment Due: Tuesday, March 19 at 1 pm (Week 11)